“We have just returned from Cherry tree cottage in Norfolk.”
I have tried complaining to you about the lack of cleanliness but you have referred me to this feedback form. You might like to read the email I sent you yesterday. It covers that the fridge had not been cleaned in a very long time, the bin still had material waste in it, had not had a bin liner in it so had to be cleaned out. There was rubbish on the floors in most rooms, including things like cotton wool in the bathrooms and bedrooms. There had obviously been a 60th birthday party there because there were the remains of the decorations. The coffee machine had grouts in, several weeks old and growing mould. The hall had a couple of dozen dead flies. We could find just 1 cleaning sponge, and 1 bottle of cleaning fluid, to clean a large kitchen, including washing up, and 4 bathrooms. It’s hardly surprising therefore that everything was dirty. This was a special celebration for us and was somewhat spoiled by the condition of the cottage. We have stayed in many cottages. This is a large, and expensive, cottage and we expected higher standards. I am particularly concerned about this as I have booked the cottage for a week in May for our family to stay in while attending a wedding in the area. I am really worried that we will experience the same extremely poor housekeeping. Please can you reply to this?
Firstly, may I say that I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Cherry Tree Cottage. Secondly, I am surprised that you say that our cottage was not properly cleaned.
1. The fridge is cleaned every time, without fail, when our guests leave.
2. I must assume that when the bin liner was removed a small amount of waste was spilt, however a new bin liner should have been put in place and at that time the spillage would have been noticed and cleaned. The coffee machine should have been cleaned - I do apologise.
3. Regarding your comments on cleaning materials. We always put new jay cloths at each of the two kitchen sinks, plus a scouring sponge, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, Dettol cleaning spray and a kitchen roll. I believe this to be sufficient for three nights stay.
4. As you know we are surrounded by farmland and are therefore subject to insects entering the property from time-to-time. We do our best to deal with them as soon as possible.
5. I do not understand your comments regarding rubbish on the floors. Every part of the cottage is vacuumed and all hard floors washed before guests arrive.
It is unfortunate that I was away on holiday before and during you stay, because I routinely check on all aspects of cleanliness before guests arrive; I also check with guests within the first two hours of their arrival that all is well.
After three years without complaint I was upset to read your e-mail and it is hard to believe that my cleaner, who is a loyal family member would fall below her normal standards.